Download A Way of Work and a Way of Life: Coal Mining in Thurber, by Marilyn D. Rhinehart PDF

By Marilyn D. Rhinehart

The coal mine represented even more than a fashion of creating a dwelling to the miners of Thurber, Texas, within the past due 19th and early 20th centuries-it represented a life-style. Coal mining ruled Thurber's paintings existence, and miners ruled its social lifestyles. the massive immigrant inhabitants that stuffed the mines in Thurber represented greater than a dozen countries, which lent a area of expertise to this Texas city. In 1888 Robert D. Hunter and the Texas & Pacific Coal corporation based Thurber at the web site of Johnson Mines, a small coal-mining village at the western fringe of North vital Texas the place Palo Pinto, Erath, and Eastland counties converged. for nearly 40 years the corporate mined coal and owned and operated a city that through 1910 served as domestic to greater than 3 thousand citizens. Marilyn Rhinehart examines the tradition of the miners' paintings, the demographics and social lifetime of the group, and the advantages and constraints of existence in a firm city.

Show description

Read or Download A Way of Work and a Way of Life: Coal Mining in Thurber, Texas, 1888-1926 (Texas A&M Southwestern Studies) PDF

Similar energy & mining books

Blowout and Well Control Handbook

As together with his 1994 e-book, complex Blowout and good regulate, Grace bargains a booklet that offers validated practices and approaches for good keep an eye on, all in keeping with sturdy engineering rules and his personal greater than 25 years of hands-on box event. particular occasions are reviewed besides certain tactics to investigate choices and take on difficulties.

Pressure Transient Formation and Well Testing

This reference offers a finished description of circulate via porous media and options to strain diffusion difficulties in homogenous, layered, and heterogeneous reservoirs. It covers the basics of interpretation strategies for formation tester strain gradients, and pretests, multiprobe and packer strain brief exams, together with by-product, convolution, and pressure-rate and pressure-pressure deconvolution.

Oil and Gas Pipelines and Piping Systems. Design, Construction, Management, and Inspection

Oil and gasoline Pipelines and Piping platforms: layout, development, administration, and Inspection supplies all of the severe points wanted for oil and gasoline piping and pipeline situation tracking and upkeep, in addition to strategies to lessen high priced disruptions inside operations. damaged up into logical elements, the publication starts with insurance on pipelines, together with crucial issues, equivalent to fabric choice, designing for oil and fuel imperative amenities, tank farms and depots, the development and installment of transportation pipelines, pipe cleansing, and upkeep checklists.

Extra resources for A Way of Work and a Way of Life: Coal Mining in Thurber, Texas, 1888-1926 (Texas A&M Southwestern Studies)

Sample text

M. "20 An occupation in which workers passed so much of their working time in the mine waiting left plenty of opportunity for discussing grievances and other common interests. Oratory abounded during dead time on the gob piles at the entries and strengthened bonds that naturally developed in the pits. A tradition of oral transmission of information in the mining community heightened the significance of such meetings as well as the time spent lined up for hoisting to the "bottom" (the surface) and riding in the train to and from the pits.

It was one of the first principles of mining the apprentice learned. '" 13 Wage earners at the Thurber mines (like all bituminous coal mine workers) fell into two main groupsthe inside workers and outside or surface employees. In 1890, at least 68 percent of those working underground in Thurber were actual coal diggers; the other 32 percent transported the coal to the surface and maintained the ventilating system. Outside, engineers, blacksmiths, firefighters, and carpenters, usually paid at a daily rate, composed the main working force.

Experienced miners even carried their picks in a similar fashion, sticking them in the crook of the elbow. 11 Attitudes toward their work also linked miners. The United States Coal Commission described the coal miner as "more independent in his work than . . " The very nature of the job, conducted in rooms as much as 265 feet apart, precluded close supervision. Most miners worked alone or with a "buddy," usually a relative or partner of the same race or ethnic group, and operated as contractors of a sort who provided their own tools and other necessities, including blasting powder.

Download PDF sample

Rated 4.13 of 5 – based on 47 votes