By Mary Q. Foote (eds.)
Read Online or Download Mathematics Teaching and Learning in K-12: Equity and Professional Development PDF
Similar curriculum & instruction books
What can we wish colleges to complete? the one defensible solution, Deanna Kuhn argues, is they may still train scholars to exploit their minds good, in class and past. Bringing insights from learn in developmental psychology to pedagogy, Kuhn keeps that inquiry and argument might be on the middle of a "thinking curriculum"—a curriculum that is sensible to scholars in addition to to lecturers and develops the abilities and values wanted for lifelong studying.
Staff activities like soccer, baseball, basketball, hockey, and football. person athletic targets, corresponding to skating, gymnastics, song, BMX, and skateboarding. those are the actions that carry a strong and common attraction for children. learn and Write activities: Readers Theatre and Writing actions for Grades 3-8 makes scholars omit they are studying by way of offering the motion and emotion in their favourite goals as they perform readers theatre actions and writing workouts akin to composing an action-reaction poem for every recreation.
This e-book asserts that efforts to reform colleges, quite city faculties, are occasions that engender a bunch of concerns and conflicts which have been interpreted throughout the conceptual lens of neighborhood.
This crucial instructing consultant specializes in an rising physique of literature by means of U. S. Latina and Latin American ladies writers. it's going to support non-specialist educators in syllabus revision, new path layout and school room presentation. The inclusive concentration of the booklet - that's, combining either US Latina and Latin American girls writers - is critical since it introduces a extra worldwide and transnational means of impending the literature.
- Creating the Opportunity to Learn: Moving from Research to Practice to Close the Achievement Gap
- International Handbook of Research on Teachers and Teaching (Springer International Handbooks of Education)
- Serve and Learn: Implementing and Evaluating Service-learning in Middle and High Schools
- Curriculum, Plans, and Processes in Instructional Design: International Perspectives
Additional resources for Mathematics Teaching and Learning in K-12: Equity and Professional Development
2005). Norma, Karmen, and Elba understood that in order to empower their students (Cummins, 2001) to learn mathematics they also needed to include their parents, acknowledging what they know, but, at the same time, providing them with resources that supported students’ academic achievement. Even though these teachers knew parental involvement was a central component of children’s learning outcomes and the importance of funds of knowledge in teaching, before our professional development work, what is critical to highlight here is that teachers were working with parents in language arts, not mathematics.
The meetings lasted from a half hour to an hour. Between the two rounds of presentations, each teacher also spent one day shadowing her target child in the school setting. This provided the opportunity for the teacher to observe the child in situations such as lunch and recess, pull-out programs, and special classes such as art and gym, as well as to observe the child in the classroom itself without being a participant in the activity of the classroom. Each teacher was also encouraged to have informal discussions with her target student in order to learn from them about activities outside of school that they participated in and enjoyed.
2. Choose a theme with your partner. Walk the tract and make notes about your theme as it relates to this neighborhood. Discuss your 34 Mathematics Teaching and Learning in K-12 observations with your partner as you go along. You may want to create some sort of graphical representation of your finding. 3. Choose a theme with your partner. Try to talk to as many people as you can to gain information about the theme as it relates to this neighborhood. 4. Walk your tract. Take notes of things of interest as you go along.